Frequently Asked Questions


How do I get yard debris and tree limbs hauled off?

Please separate leaves and limbs and place next to your cart pickup site. Limbs should be no longer than 3 foot and no more than 4 inches in diameter. Pickup is the same day as your cart pickup.

What do I need to begin new residential service?

Come into City Hall with two forms of ID. These are accepted: drivers license, social security card, birth certificate, pay stub with name and social security number or a state issued identification card.

Renters should also present a rent receipt or lease document.

How much is the utility deposit to begin city service?

Before any service is available, new customers are required to pay a Utility Administrative Service Fee and refundable deposits. The deposit remains on the account as long as it is active and transfers if you acquire another account with us. Please go to the DEPOT for any CIty Services

Light Gas Water
Service Charges $60.00 $30.00 $25.00
Deposits $150.00 $75.00 $75.00

Do I have to be present for utility service connection?

Yes, you must be present. Connecting your utility service is usually done between 8:00 a.m. – 3:45p.m.

When is my utility bill due?

Your utility bill is due 15 days after the billing date. Check your statement for your your due date. In Sylvester, there are 5 billing cycles with staggered due dates. Consequently, not everyone pays his or her bill on the same day.

When are my utilities disconnected for non-payment?

We don’t have to notify you before service is cut off.

If I have been disconnected for non-payment, how do I get reconnected?

Reconnection fee for delinquent bill is $60.00. Bill must be paid before 4:00 p.m. for reconnection. After 4:00 p.m. there will be an additional $35.00 after hours Reconnection fee

How do I disconnect utility service?

Come into City Hall to authorize service interruption and give a forwarding address for a final bill.

How do I transfer utilities from one location to another within the City of Sylvester?

There is a $20 transfer fee. Renters, bring a lease agreement or Closing paperwork and two forms of ID. If deposits are not paid already, they must be paid at this time for each new service.

How do I initiate garbage service?

Garbage service commences when utilities are cut on.

How do I report a pothole?

Call City Hall at 229-776-8505.

Does the city have a recycling program?

We do not have a city recycling service but we encourage recycling. You can pick up bins for MRM Recycling at City Hall. Take your recycled items to their site at 201 Industrial Blvd. MRM Recycling accepts paper, plastics, cans and cardboard.

Where do I get a building permit for work in the city limits?

City Hall

General Government Questions

How do I pay for a driving violation ticket?

Sylvester Police Department tickets can be paid online on this website or in person at 102 S. Isabella Street, Monday – Friday from 8:00am-5pm.

Who can run for City Council seats?

Candidates must live in the ward he or she is seeking to represent, qualify to run, and comply with state and federal laws.

When are city elections?

City elections are held every two years on the odd year.

When are City Council meetings held?

Council meetings are held on the third Monday of each month. If you wish to appear before the Council, make your request to the City Clerk by 12 Noon on the Wednesday before the meeting.

A work session is held on the first Monday of each month and citizens are welcomed.